Worried About Civil Unrest In Your Area? 5 Home Insurance Tips

13 October 2022
 Categories: Insurance, Blog

While most emergencies that involve your homeowners' insurance are natural disasters and similarly uncontrollable events, sometimes the problem is a civil disturbance. Whether it's protestors, sports celebrating that goes too far, or looting after another disaster, civil unrest can be damaging and traumatizing. 

But what should you know about using your home insurance for a civil unrest-related emergency? Here are a few key tips for any homeowner.

1. Protect Life and Health

Insurance on assets is designed to take the burden off owners when there is a disaster or accident. Part of this burden is worrying about your property when you should be prioritizing your health and safety. If you have good insurance coverage, don't put anyone at risk trying to protect your home. Vacate if needed and stay safe. 

2. Take Protective Steps

The situation changes rapidly when there is rioting, violent protesting, or even riotous fans in the area. If you suspect there may be trouble, take reasonable steps to protect your property. Move items indoors or off the property, for instance. Your insurance company may expect you to take such steps to mitigate damage.

3. Preserve Evidence

Any type of disaster is traumatizing and makes people want to get started rebuilding and repairing as soon as possible. But take the time to document and preserve evidence of damage and injury for your insurance carrier. Take photos of damage and physical harm. Wait for the insurance agent or adjuster to arrive. Before you document things, only move what is at serious risk of further harm. 

4. Think Beyond the House

The good news is that your home insurance usually covers a number of things beyond the four walls of your house. For example, personal belongings in your car, truck, or boat are covered under personal property insurance within your home insurance policy. You may also be able to get coverage for outbuildings and detached structures as well as guest property. 

5. Ask About Living Expenses

Many homeowners' policies have a clause that pays what are known as additional living expenses (ALE) if you are forced to leave your house. While this generally doesn't cover leaving preemptively, it does cover you if the damage renders your home unlivable. Check on this coverage before you decide how and when to leave. 

Where to Learn More

The best time to prepare for the possibility of civil unrest in your community is before it's a threat. Meet with a qualified homeowners' insurance agent in your state today to learn what is covered by your policies and how you might improve your protection.  

For more information, contact a local homeowners' insurance provider